Our Annual General Meeting was held on February 23, in conjunction with as a meeting to choose delegates to Provincial Convention this April. An engaged crowd came out to the meeting at the Ron Kolbus Lakeside Centre in response to our invitation to members. Oliver Kent, president of the Ottawa Centre Federal NDP, was on hand to officiate the voting.
The first part of the meeting was a joint Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Federal and Provincial Ottawa West-Nepean Riding Associations. Business of the meeting included reports on Federal and Provincial finances as well as reports from the president and membership secretary.
Following those reports, the meeting chose our new executive. Following are the key positions
- Alex Cullen replaces Marlene Rivier as President
- Debra Mair is our new Vice-President
- Dan O'Hagan continues as Federal Financial Agent
- Jim Patterson continues as Provincial Chief Financial Officer
- Laura Lozanski is Recording Secretary
- Dominique Tourangeau is Membership Secretary
The full executive is listed on our web site under About the Riding Associations.
Our past president Marlene Rivier has decided to step back from a major role in the Ottawa West-Nepean NDP though she is staying on as a member-at-large. Alex presented Marlene and four past members of the executive with presents in appreciation of their service to the association and our cause.
A Delegate Selection Meeting for the Provincial Convention followed our AGM. Our riding association is entitled to ten delegates to Provincial Convention (in addition to our two Provincial Council delegates who are automatically entitled to attend convention). Seven delegates (in addition to our Provincial Council delegates) were chosen to represent our riding this year. There are still delegate credentials available, so if you are a member and live in the riding, e-mail us at email@example.com if you are interested in attending as a delegate. Provincial Convention is in Toronto this April 21-23.
The final order of business was to discuss and vote on resolutions for the 2017 Provincial Convention. Five resolutions were put forward:
- Youth at Convention (Internal Affairs & Party Constitution)
- Uploading of provincially-mandated programs (Urban Affairs)
- Review of school boards in Ontario (Education)
- Property tax fairness for tenants (Urban Affairs)
- A public child care system (Social Policy)
All resolutions were passed, and have been forwarded to the Provincial NDP for consideration at convention this year.
The meeting wrapped up with refreshments and discussions.